Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Sacred Fly

Bulk Fly Storage

Hey All,

Curious what you all are using for bulk fly storage? Currently when I sit down to tie some flies I typically make a dozen of each pattern, only a few of those go in the fly box I take to the river.

I have some cheaper fly boxes with magnetic bases that I'm using along with some bead holders for smaller midges.

Would love to hear your strategy!

Cheers.

Welcome to the forum.

I have a large plano box with multiple compartments, but I only put them there after at least two weeks of tossing them around the desk while tying other flies.

I have a small condiment cup sitting on my desk that all my "reject" flies that need to be stripped go in. Other than that I just end up throwing them all in the umpteen number of fly boxes I have. Works good, until I have to buy another box....anyways welcome to the forum.

When I'm tying. I just put them in clips stuck in plastic 9 mm ammo holders. As far as storage, I've got an unknown number of fly boxes, some bought, others are various size Plano boxes where I've stripped out the compartments and lined the bottoms with ripple foam, or just 3 mm craft foam, either slits along the length or with pieces of foam across the width to hold the flies. At some point this winter, probably soon, I'll empty my on stream boxes, sort them by species and type of fly, popper, streamer, etc put them in their respective boxes and store them in the large bureau drawer till I'm ready to fill my boxes in the spring. If I go fishing at some point this winter, all I'll carry is a box of midges and small nymphs. Since I'm cleaning my tying area I'll take a picture of all the boxes, and realize I have way too many flies and boxes to hold them.

I just stick mine in foam sheets that I keep scattered about my bench. I don't carry many fly boxes and most times I just take a few altoid tins out with me. I don't keep little flies I've fished. After they are used I throw them in a bag to burn off the material to recycle the hook. I then replace that fly. Larger streamers and other more durable flies may get a second use. I only keep the best of the best that I tie and I give the factory seconds to my friends. The thirds go right into the recycle bag. I just don't like storing massive amounts of flies when I'm already storing the materials to make what I need when I need them. not being a gear junkie is a virtue.

Like others I use the Plano/Flambeau type boxes for longer term storage, and transfer to smaller fly boxes. I've got more flies than I'll ever use, but still keep tying. smile.png

I only tie what I need for fishing ... generally, 6 of any one pattern I'm out of. No "bulk" storage needed.

For the bench I like the Millstream Ripple Foam found on Ebay and hundreds of fly shops. (check it out) It comes in sizes as large as 12" x 15" and can be cut in half or quarters. The ripple foam gives you a good perspective of what you have tied as your flies are all lined up like soldiers in formation waiting to go into a master fly box or your working boxes. Don't rule out zip lock bags in several sizes. Not too practical for dries but I often use them to store or mail some wet flies, soft hackles, wooly buggers as well as the 2x5 and 2x8 bags that folks use for saltwater streamers. Your fly storage will evolve over the years from Altoid tins to designer boxes and they all work for a particular situation.

I'm pretty particular about fly storage. While I'd love to have a nice wooden cabinet with drawers to store my flies, I have neither the room or the budget to build such a thing. And, I love tying a wide variety of flies, experimenting with different materials and techniques. I've found several different plastic storage containers perfectly satisfactory. Right now I have 18 different plastic containers in addition to a bunch of fly boxes. Here's breakdown:

For midges (containers bought off the big auction site from China or Hong Kong):

27599925819_7898970904.jpg 39376570851_b8cc94bb30.jpg

For other trout flies (these containers also came from the big auction site):

27599868589_96033dd3c7.jpg 39347107282_d6f65f2b6a.jpg

For big flies for bass or saltwater, or for articulated flies, I use Bass Pro containers that are just like the Plano containers. When BP has a sale on these I grab a few more.

39376640891_63b66bb2e5.jpg 25507378308_f85250d445.jpg

Every fly is labeled, and every fly pattern is stored in Evernote. These makes it very easy to come back several years later and tie more.

@notenuf,

Nice... What is your method re sizes for each type of fly?

I initially started to separate different sizes of flies but quickly realized I would have storage containers stacked floor to ceiling. So now I just combine sizes for each fly. Note that I usually don't tie more than about 3 different sizes of any fly.