Fly Tying
JustSomeGuy83

Flies from salvaged material

Anyone else cringe at some of the wasted material being tossed when tying flies? I try and save what I can save. Even something as simple as thread for example, I try and get the right length from the beginning. Tying the hook just right, so I don't have to cut any off.

Here is a Frankenturk's Tarantula I made. Instead of pheasant tail for the end, I used rubber legs that would be too short for me to use anywhere else. They spread out as expected. I decided to change it up a bit and use some black chenille for the under body since I don't have any yellow or chartreuse colored dubbing. The white is leftover buck tail from some clousers I tied.

post-55595-0-68351600-1463238221_thumb.jpeg

Surely there are others with this same disorder :-) What flies have you made with leftover material?

I don't like wasting anything either, but don't get upset over the little bit of thread that I trim. I will save underfur pulled from clumps of hair to be used as dubbing, and some of the trimmed butts from large feathers that have lots of fluff. I use the fluff for some smaller flies & dressing trailer hooks on some lures I make instead of cutting up marabou. I save the tips from feathers when I'm palmering hackle & cut them off. I'll use them for wings or tails on other flies or jigs.

I've gotten to where I don't have a lot of waste or leftovers when tying, and yes I do toss some trimmed stuff that I don't see any use for, but IMO, that's going to happen regardless of how careful or anal we are. rolleyes.gif

I agree with tidewater, however the waste that gets me is in my sign business. Used to hand letter and use small amounts of everything and use food cans etc. for paint cups etc. It would take a couple three weeks to fill a trash can. With all this vinyl stuff I can fill a trash can everyday. Incredible waste compared to 20 years ago.

Now where did I put that squirrel tail I salvaged.

I have turned size 4 hairwings into size 10hairwings. But mostly the stuff I cut off is binned.

thread is one thing.... chenille is another. Stuff like that you have to use a piece longer (maybe twice as long or more) as the part you actually use. Someone posted here last year an ideal... don't cut off three inches to use one inch. leave it on the card, and wind what you need. That way you'll only waste the last two inches on the card. Other items you can do the same kind of thinking.

i dont mind throwing away 1/4 - 1/2 inch of waste.

i dont save the fluff from the butt ends of feathers or the under fur from hairs

leave your material on the card or spool if you dont want waste. obviously there are times or flies that you cant do that

i dont save hackle tips from tying dry flies. they taper too much for reuse

Since I basically only tie with cheap material, I don't bother saving small bits and pieces.

But I have started saving the tips of hackle, since buying a cape. I think they'll look good as tails and cheeks.

I don't have a single hoarding gene. While I do my best not to waste things I also have no problems throwing things away. Clutter is my enemy.

I knew a fellow who would stop at road kill and get out the knife or scissors. I don't throw away anything unless it it something that will never be used. FWIW, I tie very few flies- only about 6 or 7. That's all I have needed for fishing in east TN and the Smokies.

There is "wasteful" and there is accepting the fact that a certain percentage of any material is going in the bin. Two different things. If you truly have a need to save every penny's worth of material you are in the wrong hobby. You can almost always put more protein on the table with a cheap spinning outfit and bait. Beyond that, fishing is ultimately a pastime, fly fishing more so than many other methods. I have no trouble accepting a reasonable amount of trimmings in order to make great flies, and to make the process of tying more enjoyable.

I don't have a single hoarding gene. While I do my best not to waste things I also have no problems throwing things away. Clutter is my enemy.

I'm with poopdeck except I do have the hoarding gene. Thing is I save and bin all those scraps and pieces that still have life until they fill a plastic tub so full you couldn't find anything if you wanted...then I toss it all and try my best not to go through the trash.

I'm with poopdeck except I do have the hoarding gene. Thing is I save and bin all those scraps and pieces that still have life until they fill a plastic tub so full you couldn't find anything if you wanted...then I toss it all and try my best not to go through the trash.

Hysterical.

This topic has come up before ... and I really liked one particular answer.

Someone said they put their scraps out side, and the birds take it for nest materials. Makes all the nest in the area much prettier.