Fly Tying
flymanaj

I have a question

Why do people drop their reel in the water when posing for a fish pic? Is this the "cool" thing to do? Or do they just not take care of their gear?

A reel dunked in freshwater- not a very good idea… but not a total disaster… A reel dunked in saltwater needs immediate attention or you’ll wish it was done in short order.  This from a guy who’s been repairing and/or maintaining reels ever since I was taught the basics - fifty years ago.   At one time I had customers bringing me reels by the bucket full…

The good news about fly reels is that they’re relatively simple compared to today’s very complex high end spin or plug casting reels.  That said I’m betting that anyone who dunks their reels for a “great photo” — isn’t the guy who has to fix it when a bearing goes bad…

I’ll get down off of my soapbox now.

I don't know, I don't understand that, I think its the latter.  What's even worse, in my opinion, is laying the reel AND the rod on the ground.  The reel gets put on top of my hat, and my rod never gets laid across the ground.  That was the first thing I learned when Dad taught me to fish, and I can't tell you how much it irks me when I see someone doing it.    

It's a fishing reel! Getting it wet with fresh water won't hurt it a bit. Saltwater, sand grit etc. is another matter.

7 minutes ago, Jaydub said:

It's a fishing reel! Getting it wet with fresh water won't hurt it a bit. Saltwater, sand grit etc. is another matter.

Even fresh water has silt in it! Thanks for the input!

How somebody treats their gear doesn’t concern me in the slightest and It’s better than holding a fly rod in the teeth for a hero shot. I can’t be the only one that chuckles every time I see someone posing for a fish picture with the rod in teeth.

13 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

How somebody treats their gear doesn’t concern me in the slightest and It’s better than holding a fly rod in the teeth for a hero shot. I can’t be the only one that chuckles every time I see someone posing for a fish picture with the rod in teeth.

I know, that's another one.

Guilty as charged, not so much when taking a picture of a fish I've caught, but when changing flies when I'm wading.  I'm sure my dentist would love me to hold the rod between my teeth.  A lot of time I fish by myself and often I commit a double sin.  Not only of lying the rod and reel on the ground but the fish along side it to take the picture.  Some pictures of my earlier sins.  Though I would imagine folks might be more upset about a trout picture than a bass or a sunfish.

1267684726_BrownTrout2.thumb.jpg.043b015ed4a02e76b03caa8abdfdabc9.jpg

bluegill-VT.thumb.jpg.ea8f362472f53874424db1b677121833.jpg

500595392_NJLargemouth2.thumb.jpg.e54c2a8244aa9becbe6b81c87ff908bb.jpg

The fish were quickly returned to the water and swam away.  The rod and reel also survived.

I guess this is the proper way to take a picture.  My niece's father-in-law caught this one.  I'm very jealous.

820219595_ArchsRainbow_2.thumb.jpeg.4c3c4823568030bc6796f01e98c78252.jpeg

2 hours ago, flymanaj said:

Why do people drop their reel in the water when posing for a fish pic? Is this the "cool" thing to do? Or do they just not take care of their gear?

If you're talking about photos with the rod laying next to fish to give some idea of size, it may be as simple as wanting to keep the fish wet.

OTOH, I don't know why people take pictures of fish at all.  To each his own, I guess.

Going off subject for a moment...could we PLEASE stop with those idiotic abbreviations like OTOH or LMAO or FYI.

The language is made of of words, not that tiresome nonsense.

2 hours ago, SalarMan said:

TBH, that's not entirely accurate.  

Except for extremely formal or academic writing, the use of initialisms and abbreviations is not only acceptable, but expected in informal writing.  Even in academic writing their use is acceptable when rules are followed.   

FYI, RSVP, ETA, AKA, FAQ, ATM, TBA, RIP, P.S., DIY, ID, GMO, PC, PR, SOS, AWOL, POW, AD, BC, i.e., e.g., DOB, MD, OB-GYN, HR, BYOB, NASA, FBI, OK, Scuba, Nasdaq, PO Box, USA, etc.  

I think you're SOL trying to change that, but good luck trying, LOL.    

Now, the lack of proper punctuation  - that really gets me Po'ed.  

3 hours ago, SalarMan said:

Going off subject for a moment...could we PLEASE stop with those idiotic abbreviations like OTOH or LMAO or FYI.

Blame NASA!

6 hours ago, SalarMan said:

George I have to admit I had to google OTOH (LOL) 😆