Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

We're in the middle of our annual July to mid August drought and combined with last weeks 6 day heat wave the wild trout fishing is done for a few weeks.  Yesterday I grabbed a box of small Atlantic Salmon flies and went to a narrow warm water stream that was still flowing.  I had a great time stripping them through the pools, catching many Fall Fish, Yellow Perch and Gills.  I also lost a fight with a decent sized Largemouth.  

IMG_4483.thumb.PNG.ac625397138daf967a8c09f601b6cd1e.PNG

IMG_4481.thumb.JPG.1dd591cb69190562f1b645c5a270b3fd.JPG

IMG_4482.thumb.JPG.a4340c24f1fe48fb35c56e061c794074.JPG

Was honored recently to fish " Captain Bouncer", a local legend and IGFA Hall of Fame member out of Flamingo on a trip meant for baby tarpon... Bouncer (Randy Smith) has finally retired from a fifty year career as a charter captain where he helped his anglers set many world records... When I first got a job as a mate on charter boats - he was one of the first guys to provide a pointer or two for this young green mate back in 1973 so I've known him for years.  At any rate we found a few fish then caught and released them on both spinning and fly fishing gear that day .  Here's a pic of Bouncer and I hope to see him on my skiff again... 

xLWCq1L.jpg

that day we started out with small popping bugs then went to small white streamers...

pVXI1MK.jpg

the SpeedBug, a small popper with a soft foam head from Perfect Popper and #1 Mustad 34007 hook

4SSXs4c.jpg

My version of Norm's Crystal Schminnow on a  #4 Mustad 34007 hook

First perch on a hand tied fly of mine. Great little slough I found today at lunch fully of panfish. Fun sight fishing for them. 

621941A3-2D43-4A03-9C4B-5E5CCB6281E3.jpeg

Last night was the last Supermoon for 2022.

Even if you miss the prime time to look at the moon, which will come at 9:36 p.m. ET, you can still see a nearly full moon on August 10 and August 12. 

A supermoon occurs when the moon's orbit is at its closest point to the Earth during a full moon.

Sooooooo....I went out to see if the boys wanted to play a little 'catch and release", and of course they did.

They hardly ever disappoint and were dressed in some of their summer finest. Here are a few pics of the many that came to play.

Ah, they never fail to bring a smile to my face

tn_IMG-4856.jpg

tn_IMG-4855.jpg

1 hour ago, gillage said:

Last night was the last Supermoon for 2022.

Even if you miss the prime time to look at the moon, which will come at 9:36 p.m. ET, you can still see a nearly full moon on August 10 and August 12. 

A supermoon occurs when the moon's orbit is at its closest point to the Earth during a full moon.

Sooooooo....I went out to see if the boys wanted to play a little 'catch and release", and of course they did.

They hardly ever disappoint and were dressed in some of their summer finest. Here are a few pics of the many that came to play.

Ah, they never fail to bring a smile to my face

tn_IMG-4856.jpg

tn_IMG-4855.jpg

It feels pretty good, doesn't it. There's a satisfying feeling catching them on your own flies. Congrats!

Nice largemouth today at lunch break on a black Willy bugger. Bright blue sky, clear water, watched him inhale it. 

AB6F5842-B322-4AA3-A2A0-F123C6F45571.jpeg

On 8/11/2022 at 10:54 AM, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Was honored recently to fish " Captain Bouncer".

That's really cool. I've seen Capt. Bouncer on many different fishing shows over the years. 

4 minutes ago, dogfacedoc said:

First red on fly last week in Charleston 

IMG_0166.jpg

Wow!  Beautiful fish. Bet that was a nice battle!  

Ok, I've got almost 20 years of fresh water fly fishing experience and this is the first Horn Pout (we call them Bull Head here in Mass) I've ever caught on a fly.  On a wooly bugger.  274186294_HORNPOUT.thumb.JPG.44720c762caa3f43da59476fe5c305d3.JPG

@caloosa bug - you're gonna need a bigger pan, that is a monster compared to what we have here in the northeast.  

9 hours ago, dogfacedoc said:

First red

Nice fish.  

9 minutes ago, DFoster said:

first Horn Pout

👍

-I'll maybe get one a season while trolling to different spots when I'm out on the lake in the kayak.    

2 hours ago, niveker said:

@caloosa bug - you're gonna need a bigger pan, that is a monster compared to what we have here in the northeast.  

Nice fish.  

👍

-I'll maybe get one a season while trolling to different spots when I'm out on the lake in the kayak.    

I was casting the bugger out and letting it sink to the bottom before the retrieve.  Still It was just weird- I was on a small river of flowing water at 4' deep hole and catching Fall Fish one after the other on a black bugger.  Not a single Bluegill, Largemouth or Perch so a Horn Pout was the last thing I was expecting.  This drought seems to be causing some strange fish behavior.