Fly Tying
SilverCreek

Fly tying tip

Every once in awhile, I find a tying tip I have never seen that is so simple and so great that I am compelled to share it. My apologies to to anyone who know this tip already, but it is new to me:

not to be "That Guy" but... this is one of those things which beautifully illustrates an advantage of a rotary vise.

Okay, what tactical or strength advantage is this supposed to give? Why is is any better? Is it supposed to help lay down touching wraps better?

I think that's genius--I'm sitting here shaking my head to think I've been tying for 20 years now and never learned that! Thanks for sharing.

I have used that technique with hackle but not peacock herl or pheasant tail. I think Al Beatty has it on his site. It's helpful if you are wrapping something on a slope and that wants to slide down.

Okay, what tactical or strength advantage is this supposed to give? Why is is any better? Is it supposed to help lay down touching wraps better?

The thread is wrapped within the body material which strengthens it and helps it line up more easily. At least that's what I got out of it.

Doesn't strengthen it at all. It simply prevents multible strands from separating and making the material wrap fuller because the strands are kept together.

The first time I saw this technique was several years ago in John Barr's book about tying his Copper John. It works OK with the wire but is much more valuable when trying to keep the multi-strand materials together. It works.

Joe

It seems to me that Tim explains very clearly what this technique helps with. I saw this used in one of the Tightline Production videos years ago and use it all the time now. It works great for keeping the multiple fibers of pheasant tail together when tying small PT nymphs.

Thanks for posting, SC; I've never seen that one either. One thing I do with several strands of herl is to twist them along with the thread and wrap them both together. Strengthens the material and helps prevent separation.

I just saw this the other day,while checking out Tim's fly tying videos.Someone replied to one of his video's, and said that he sounds like the guy from "How it's Made".When ever I watched his video's I always wondered where I heard this guy before. Now the mystery is solved.

Thanks for sharing S.C

P.S

I made a batch of your dry fly floatant powder,and it works great! For about $15.00,I have more than a lifetime supply.

Doesn't strengthen it at all. It simply prevents multible strands from separating and making the material wrap fuller because the strands are kept together.

You're right. I think the weight of the bobbin pushing back against the body material keeps it together.