Fly Tying
imaxfli78

FlyLine conditioning....

Have an old WF Floating 8-Wt that I used the other day for first time in forever. Its not cracked and it floats fine. Anyone have any  homemade recipes to wipe it down with to clean/enhance/preserve/aid casting(or a product) ...thanks in advance!

mild dish soap in water to clean then armor all. have seen other use dish soap then silicone grease. Stay away from petroleum or solvent  based anything !

Why not hit it with some fly line conditioner after you clean it?  The stuff is cheap enough, a small bottle last forever and it will probably cast like new.

mild dish soap/water solution for cleaning, rinse, wipe dry, then silicone line conditioner. I have been using accardo silicone fly line dressing for over 20 years (the same little plastic tub/container with little pad inside) and have no complaints.

http://idahoflyfishers.blogspot.com/2016/01/fly-line-care.html

Armor All kills fly line. It removes the plasticisers in the line.

http://truenorthtrout.com/2014/08/line-cleaning/

"The bottom line is we cannot guarantee what is in other dressing or products and how it will react with our lines. A perfect example of this is ArmorAll. For years people said that ArmorAll could be used to clean and condition fly lines. What we know now is that they actually reduce the effective lifespan of the line. This is due to the chemicals in ArmorAll reacting with the plasticizers in our coating and actually drying it out. This can lead to premature cracking and line failure. ~ Erick Johnson at Scientific Anglers"

http://globalflyfisher.com/fish-better/fly-line-anatomy

"You might consider wiping it lightly over with one of the many line dressings on the market. Be careful with car vinyl treatment products such as Armorall. It will work well on some lines, but most lines need to be treated with a substance based on silicone, and the wrong liquid can cause a lot of damage to the line. Read the manufacturer's instructions and consider buying the treatment particularly made for the line. Lines are expensive, and there is no need to ruin them while trying to make them better."

And to top it off it's not even waterproof.  I put some on my dashboard and side panels last week and when my wife wiped off a few raindrops on her side I noticed you couldn't even tell the Armorall All had been on it.

I stand corrected do not use armor all. (  I have and never had a problem) yes it is water based so is dish soap (dawn) and I use that every time I come home from fishing)

Cheap and available most anywhere faucet and plumbing parts are sold.  Quite honestly, it works better than anything else I've ever used.  It's the main ingredient we're looking for sans the other crap which just seems to gum-up and get sticky.  

cheaplube.jpg.8ad5775a58eda77f41d50890512b928d.jpg

well I'm just going to throw this out there,,, there are available several brands of very pure silicone based liquids which are um, very well known to be water resistant and stay slick as hell for a very long time.    When applied very sparingly to a clean fly line, the results are surprising to say the least.   You won't find them in the fly line aisle.  

9 minutes ago, JSzymczyk said:

You won't find them in the fly line aisle. 

Soooo ... do you have some names, or links to these?

13 hours ago, JSzymczyk said:

You won't find them in the fly line aisle. 

Personal health products?

Just good dish soap and warm water wiped of with paper towel and repeat a few times until the paper stays clean.

The lines are plastic and nothing soaks in except to melt the plastic, so anything you put on the line is going to stay on the surface and grab more dirt making the line wear faster and also wearing the rod guides- leave the plastic clean, don't make stuff harder than it needs to be. I'm still using the same  444 lines that I bought in the late '90s and they still look and cast fine.

If we add stuff that makes the lines hold dirt and/or wear out faster we'll buy new lines sooner, so manufacturers may encourage us to do just that, especially if they sell the stuff?

As an alternate to dish soap, rubbing the line with a bar of bath soap will do it about as much good as anything and is unlikely to harm it, wipe the bar soap off with a paper towel or clean soft cloth.