Fly Tying
Bimini15

Odds or evens?

So, I am wondering if most people size up to their next rod weight by two.
And, if so, do most of you have odd weights or even weights?

3wgt(10' euro) ,4wgt (7'),5wgt ( 7'9" & 9'),6wgt (8', 9', 9'6"),& 9wgt (9', 15') my go to assortment that lives in my truck. I f I was starting out new it would be a 4 - 6 - 9.

I have two 3 weights, a 5'6" and a 10' (Both from Midwest Custom Flyrods), two 8 weights (Midwest Custom Flyrods and a name brand one I won in a drawing).  The other 6 or so rods are all 5 weights.

I own well over a dozen rods in 3,4,5,6, and 7 weight.  By far most are in the 4,5 and,6 weights

In the smaller weights 3,4,5 all bamboo.  Then 6,8,10,13 fast action fresh and salt.  I also have older slow action Hexagraphs I built several years ago  in 5,6,7 but rarely use now

I alternate sizes and stick with even numbered rods, from size 4 to 12.  Currently I have a 9' #6, and 3 9' #8 rods.  My witch rod is a 5 weight, but that number doesn't represent the same thing.

I should have started by saying that I have ended up with 3 5wt, 6wt, 7wt, 2 8wt, 9wt and 10wt myself.

My question came from thinking along the lines of cphuberts comment. If I did it all over again... I think I would plan on all 8’6 rods in 4, 6, 8 and 10wt.

But it sounds like most, like myself, did not plan odds/evens from the start.

My approach to rod purchases was (probably) a bit more cheap-skate-ish than most.  I bought a rod reel combo when I needed one, or one was on an extreme sale I couldn't resist.  My first rod was a 5 weight.  I never would've bought any other size if it hadn't been on some kind of sale.  The rods I got from Steve were during his specials he posts on here once in a while.

I've never thought, "Hmmm, if I had a rod that was ONE weight [lighter/heavier], I'd be able to catch so many more fish!"  I do love my 5'6" 3 weight.  Not because it's a 3 weight, but because it is so good at getting under overhangs.  But now, it's in my hands about 80% of the time, just because it's light and fun to catch fish on.

I have two 5 wgt rods an 8 1/2'  4 piece and 7' fiberglass.  Two 6 wgt rods an 8 1/2'  and a 9' and, for some reason, three 8 wgt rods two 8 1/2' and one 9'.  One of the 8 wgt rods is a 4 piece rod I brought to take with on work trips to Guam.  It hadn't seen water in almost 20 years.  Last year I replaced the snake guides with single foot guides.  I always liked the way the rod cast, and it seems lighter than the other two 8 wgt rods.  It will probably be my go to 8 wgt when I start chasing bass again next year.   I don't think I would do it differently.  The 5 wgt rods are my trout and panfish rods.  The 9' 6 wgt is my go to rod.  I use it for panfish, bass and light salt water and even trout on occasion.  The 8 wgt rods are my heavy bass/pike and salt water rods.   I prefer the 9' rods, if I had to replace any of the 8 1/2' rods I'd would get a 9' rod.  The 7' 5 wgt is what I use on small streams with a lot of brush around them.  I don't see building "specialty" rods of lighter weights for myself, and my casting shoulder is not ready for a 9 or 10 wgt.  In fact I have a old Fenwick fiberglass 10 wgt that I'm going to turn into a spinning rod over the winter.  Go back to the days of my youth when all rods were fiberglass.

3, 4, 5 and 6 wt rods for me

i do have a sage largemouth rod of which has no rod weight. dont really know what the hell it is!

Since I’m a guide working the backcountry of the Everglades (mostly) I get to fish lots of guys and gals as they’re learning to fish the salt... 

I point out that unless they’re wanting to tangle with big tarpon or big sharks they can do just fine with an 8 and a 10wt (or a 9 and an 11wt).  A floating line for the light rod and an Intermediate for the heavy rod are how I’m set up....