Fly Tying
DFoster

Jack Gartside - Forever a boy

I ran across this short interview piece from Boston Public Television in 2004.    I ran into a guy on the water last week who asked me if I had ever heard of Gartside.  He told me he was still tying streamers from his remaining supply of jacks "secret" dubbing and said the stuff was magic.  

he got me hooked on tying with bohemian chenille.i have a few autograghed books and a bag of sec stuff.  i noticed in the video of his fly rod  had two big guides instead of one.

17 hours ago, Moshup said:

i still have a bag of it.

Moshup - what does the stuff look like?  I've only seen it used as a mild hot spot on a well used fly - to me it looked like a fine cream colored dubbing with some pink maybe red mixed in.  Locally the land locks have moved up river and I've been tying some streamers lately.  I hooked one last year on a streamer with a white marabou wing so I decided to tie some white Gartside soft hackles last night-

1 hour ago, DFoster said:

Moshup - what does the stuff look like?  I've only seen it used as a mild hot spot on a well used fly - to me it looked like a fine cream colored dubbing with some pink maybe red mixed in.  Locally the land locks have moved up river and I've been tying some streamers lately.  I hooked one last year on a streamer with a white marabou wing so I decided to tie some white Gartside soft hackles last night-

DFoster I’ve just moved into my new abode and most of my tying stuff is still packed up. I remember it to be white with a 

purple shimmer. I’m sure it will turn up and I can send you a small amount. I can’t send much but at least enough for a 

half dz flies. 

3 hours ago, Moshup said:

DFoster I’ve just moved into my new abode and most of my tying stuff is still packed up. I remember it to be white with a 

purple shimmer. I’m sure it will turn up and I can send you a small amount. I can’t send much but at least enough for a 

half dz flies. 

That's very kind- I wouldn't even need that much but a very small amount would be appreciated.  I would just like to try and try to blend my own copy based  from on a sample.   When you get settled send me a PM and I will forward you and address.

8 hours ago, DFoster said:

That's very kind- I wouldn't even need that much but a very small amount would be appreciated.  I would just like to try and try to blend my own copy based  from on a sample.   When you get settled send me a PM and I will forward you and address.

Will do.

His website is still active just went there..i ordered 3 colors of the STUFF a couple years ago.They sent me a LOT of each.

I might be more like him than I care to admit. I wouldn't pretend to compare to him when it comes to fishing or tying, just the other stuff.