Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

That's a nice batch of golden shiners. I haven't caught any around here. I've caught a bunch in Vermont, mainly on small poppers. Several times I mistook them for rising trout and have caught them on CDC and Elk patterns.

Well ... I went fishing today. Definitely fishing ... not catching. But that's okay, because I was trying all kinds of different flies that I tied up during the Winter hotel stays. Every hit I got (5 or 6, of which I boated 2) came on the Panfish Attractor. Nothing else drew any interest.

We just had a week of cold nights, so I'm blaming the weather, not the flies. I even tried tenkara ... kind of.

Islander that bass must have been a hoot on a 2 wt.

What species is that first one?

Kind of looks like it's in the gar family.

Actually, that's a spotted gar. Easy to fool, hard to hook, and even harder to keep on the hook. I think I have a 25% success rate.

Today was more of the same, minus the gar. I went 0 for 10 on those. There'd be pictures, but, for some reason the internet is acting up.

Islander ... you're in Southern Florida?

According to range maps, there are no Spotted Gar down there. They are a cool water species, and your water's get too warm.

Yep spotted gar only in the panhandle. Florida gar maybe? The color is right for longnose but that bill is just too short Id say.