Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
brooktrout308

Vibrater ?

I'm not really sure what you call it I saw them at a fly show, they are clear, round, cupped piece of plastic ? you tie them on your leader in front of your streamer, woolly bugger, what ever and it makes your fly really vibrate. Wondering if anybody ever saw them ?

20 years ago, I bought a product called Fuddlers. They do make a fly move.

I cut mine out of clear plastic bottles with a hole saw.

I use a single hole in the middle of the disc, and slightly bend the

disc.

Sod to cast. Step up your leader dia to help against twist and help turn over into the wind.

Similar to turbo discs in salmon flies. Has never really taken off.

But ... I hate mocha frappes! I don't get those lids!

Just joking ... I don't use the "wobble discs" or what ever you call them.

My wife is out of town one more week. When she's back I'll check with her.

I have tried the "fly lips" on one streamer and was disappointed in how little it did but I think it was a marabou streamer if I remember right. Whatever it was I do remember thinking the streamer might be too bulky for the fly lip to handle. Didn't do much of anything. Hard pull would move it a little sideways but also tip streamer on side. Going to try them with a cleaner streamer.

But ... I hate mocha frappes! I don't get those lids!

Just joking ... I don't use the "wobble discs" or what ever you call them.

I think their hot fudge sunday has the same top, Mike ! You might like that, it's only something like $1.29 to purchase, so it might be inexpensive enough for even you. I passed a urology scan for testicular cancer a couple of years ago and on the way home I really felt like treating myself to a sunday, the first place I went by was Mc D and I swung in there. The girl in the drive up window with half florescent red hair on one side and blue/black on the other, blatantly asked for a $1.79 at that McD on the highway. I was disappointed in the cost but not in the treat. But my biggest let down was the young girls spirit that all the hair color in the world wasn't fixing. Some of our youth these days are hurting.

Go to a craft shop & get some large size sequins. You can thread them onto your tippet ahead of the fly & they will also add some action to a fly. I did this about 40 years ago, and found it was best if I glued two or three of them together to make them stronger. They're cheap & disposable. They also work great added to the flat face of a popper. smile.png

That's what I was thinking about, fishinguy ... the magic heads! But I couldn't find them when I went looking.

I don't think that's what the OP is asking about, though, since those are actually tied on the fly, and brooktrout308 asked about one that slipped on the leader, like the discs above.

How about if you want a lure which does that, use spinning tackle and a Rapala minnow or a thousand other lures? These things make FLY CASTING a chore instead of fun, and why do people always need to make things into other things which they are not?

I fish with all types of tackle. They all excel in different situations. To think that somehow fly tackle is "better" than the others is delusional.

I've said it about a hundred times before and I guess I'll say it again- quoting the late, great, Ray Bergman who was at the pinnacle of angling and angling-authors in the middle of the last century, and who's wisdom is just as valid today:

"there are bug days, and there are plug days" ...