Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DarrellP

Hooks

I just made a sizable order from my local fly shop, I had to replace to two lines, so I did some looking around on hooks. I did go with the majority of Daiichi dry fly and wet fly hooks, they were reasonable. I did purchase some Daiichi Alec Jackson wet fly hooks and some tiemco 102y for flymph and wet fly applications.  One hook I could not find anywhere was the Daiichi 2461 #4 streamer hook,  some of these supplies issues are really weird.

Mike.

I have been using Whole Fly Copany hooks like Scott. No problems with them On one of my first orders they sent me sample of many hooks. Compared them to Dai-Riki I had and could not see any difference.   Many of them area barbless, which I lik, they come out of me easier.

Rick 

For streamers and bass bugs -- which is easily 75% of what I tie -- I like the Gamakatsu B10S for bigger bugs, Clousers, and the front portions of articulated streamers. For single-hook streamers and buggers I use Daiichi 2461 when I can get them. (I like the straight eye and the black finish.) When I can't get the Daiichis, I usually default to Wholesale Fly Co.

All of my dries, wets, and nymphs are tied on various Wholesale Fly Co. hooks. 

I always think of an ad that used to run in the fly fishing magazines (remember those?)  I think it was a Tiemco ad; in any case, it showed a rigged fly rod, complete with leader and fly, and it had labels with little arrows pointing to different parts of the rig, with prices ("Fly Rod -- $500, Fly Reel, $300, Fly line, $100, etc.) The one by the fly said "Hook: $0.25." Below the picture was a single line: "Which part catches the fish?" 

That stuck with me. 

On 11/20/2022 at 9:36 AM, upnorthtier said:

I get all my hooks from Daryl --- troutbum.ca

I think that's the same guy I buy from on ebay, slightly better deal on his website with the exchange rate. 

7 hours ago, niveker said:

I think that's the same guy I buy from on ebay, slightly better deal on his website with the exchange rate. 

Same guy from ebay. Order from his website instead, he'll appreciate it. 

57 years ago,  I had 3 options.  Mustad, Orvis, and Herters.  Mustad was the only hook I could find in local shops.  I have NO problem with switching brands and have tried LOTS of different hooks.  When I worked in the industry, I didn't mind getting Tiemco, and other higher priced hooks at store discounts.  Then about 15 years ago, I started testing a lot of "house brand" hooks and finnally settled on using Montana Fly Co. Hooks, never looked back still use them for all my fresh water hooks.  For Salt water, I use Mustad hooks.  MFC hooks are getting harder and harder to find, but as long as I can get them I will keep using them.  

Though I'm not partial to a specific brand, if you go through my collection of hooks, you'll find mostly Mustad, Daiichi, and Gamy in that order.   Btw, I just discovered Mustads new Heritage series with their new Titan finish and alpha point, and they have a hook that matches up exactly with the same size and shape as my commonly used Gamy B10s but of course for less money.  Seems like a really nice sharp hook but won't get a chance to set it into a smallie's jaw until spring. 

3 hours ago, robow7 said:

Though I'm not partial to a specific brand, if you go through my collection of hooks, you'll find mostly Mustad, Daiichi, and Gamy in that order.   Btw, I just discovered Mustads new Heritage series with their new Titan finish and alpha point, and they have a hook that matches up exactly with the same size and shape as my commonly used Gamy B10s but of course for less money.  Seems like a really nice sharp hook but won't get a chance to set it into a smallie's jaw until spring. 

I like the sounds of the B10s, only affordable. I’ll keep an eye out for what you mentioned- thank you

4 hours ago, Squeezy said:

I like the sounds of the B10s, only affordable. I’ll keep an eye out for what you mentioned- thank you

Mustad Heritage C61S Streamer Fly Hook

Noted something recently worth passing on... While doing a bit of research on E--Bay (quickest way I know of checking what's on the market for basic items - but not necessarily where I'll purchase from - unless not available any where else...).  While checking on current Mustad 34007 hook prices at retail I noted a good amount of "mustad hooks" that were not in standard Mustad boxes being offered for sale in various quantities - mostly by the hundred per size....   I figure they're selling knock-offs from the orient and would avoid them like the plague... I wouldn't mind if they were tempered properly but you generally get what you pay for.  If I'm not seeing the standard retail box for hooks I shy away.   Yes, I can buy those same hooks by the thousand per size at wholesale - but once again - they'll come in a labeled box from Mustad with the correct size and and quantities listed on the label for each box of 1000...  Buyer beware... .