Fly Tying
Landon P

Why do I keep breaking vises!!!!

I'm about done at this point with any vise I try. The inner threads always strip and then I go buy another vise and the same thing happens again and again. Why might this be happening?

Show us some photos of your vise. If you are thinking about upgrading and you don't want to make adjustments and keep breaking vise try a Regal that my take care of the problem or if you want a cam style vise look at the Peak vise  or a Renzetti 

Landon

Again a picture of the vise would help.

Your May 6 post shows a fly on a Dyna King, other posts show different jaws types so I'm not sure if the attached video helps or not.

Stripping threads sounds a lot like over tightening whichever screw/collar you're adjusting.  There is a fine distinction between securing the hook and cranking down on it

Start at the 1:30 mark for a discussion on proper adjustment of the jaws before bringing in the hook.  Again if you have a cam lever 

https://www.google.com/search?q=adjusting+a+fly+tying+vise+jaws&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS885US885&oq=adjusting+a+fly+tying+vise+jaws&aqs=chrome..69i57.25552j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_l8zZXue9BIWesQWEzJDADw32

Hi use a either a regal lever vice or a  PWW design  Scottie lever vice it's well engineered and a very reliable and reasonable vice professional tiers in the UK use this vice for it's reliability.   hope this help's 

Kind regards Steve 😉

Which bolt?  Is this the pivot bolt you mentioned you fixed a while back?  From your YouTube channel, it looks like you tie on at least three different vices, so its hard to say without photos, but I would suggest the threads weren't started properly, the vice wasn't adjusted/assembled properly to begin with, and/or you're over-cranking on the hook.   I've have a number of low end vises that all have their drawbacks, but stripped threads is not one of them.     

I tied on a "Supreme" vise for decades without ever stripping the thread on a screw.  Now, I've been using an Odyssey Spider cam vise for several years and no problems with any of the threaded items on it, either.

My first guess, as with the students in my engine classes, is that you're under estimating how tight you're turning the screw and stripping them out yourself.  If a lot of vises you're using are having the same problem ... the common cause is ... you!

Gotta agree with the others that it's probably user error. I have a Renzetti Traveler cam vise. I've had it for probably 15 years and I've abused the heck out of it. It's got a screw to adjust the jaws prior to tightening with the lever and I've put that thing through it's paces too and never stripped it. I'd be surprised if the problem you describe would regularly happen with any decent-quality manufacturer. Maybe try backing off on your tightness like others suggest. I test the hold by just pressing down enough on the eye of the hook to flex the shank. If it flexes without slipping it's plenty tight, no need to go any tighter than that. I'm talking just a hair above the hook slipping. That habit for me comes from tying on Japanned salmon hooks and not wanting to mess up the finish. Hope you can remedy the situation! Vises ain't cheap.

How rough are you being with vises?    Only thing i ever broke were pivot pins on the lever of my thompson 360 slt.    Sounds like your putting too much pressure on the threads or cranking them too tight.   Too much pressure holding a hook can cause the metal threads to tear out.    I like the regal suggestion for you,   Go with the stainless jaws.  

Or go with a simple vise like the peak rotary and go easier on the knobs.    

11 hours ago, James said:

Show us some photos of your vise. If you are thinking about upgrading and you don't want to make adjustments and keep breaking vise try a Regal that my take care of the problem or if you want a cam style vise look at the Peak vise  or a Renzetti 

This.  I have had a Regal for almost 20 years, with no real issues.

I broke the jaws on one vise years ago when I was just beginning to tie saltwater flies.  I didn’t know back then that vices were meant for a specific range of hooks - and I was greatly exceeding it... One of my  suppliers pointed out that many manufacturers offered a set of saltwater or “super jaws” for those working with larger hooks.  I’m still using that old vise with the “super jaws” all these years later...

Have not seen photos of you tying, but I would check to be sure the hook is properly placed in the jaws.  There is a tendency sometimes to put the hook at the very tip of the jaws to expose the most hook  possible.  This is improper and does put undue stress on the jaws.   I have heard that Renzetti and Regal will not provide warranty coverage in these cases. 

Just a guess.  Good luck in resolving the issue.

Thanks, Bob H

3 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

Try breaking this vise!

Does that come with a pedestal base?