Fly Tying
SBPatt

January Flies From the Vise

Mini Munker

50792431468_8089fb5662_c.jpg

50792431368_467280fcd6_c.jpg

50793300177_8db0f02291_c.jpg

Natural progression from the Squirrel Zonker (Squonker?).  I was able to spin the head with Danville 6/0, which amazed me.

hook - WFC Model 6 #6
thread - Danville 6/0 brown 
rib - small wire gold 
body - dubbing squirrel
wing - Zonker strip squirrel 
shoulder - pheasant rump 
collar/head - pronghorn

Regards,
Scott

I struggle to get good pics of tiny flies. And when I get an ok one, then I see every imperfection that I could not see with the naked eye.

Just can’t win...

812FDCE9-FE6A-4FFA-A161-30314B0B58DD.jpeg.bbc151598878eb64b90026a690f69042.jpeg
BF338898-170F-4040-93A7-258F0DE4C3F1.thumb.jpeg.ea1e24b72ffebd00d95fe9a0d9e7b213.jpeg

3 hours ago, Moshup said:

@Jaydub Looks good !  What is the olive dub you used ? 

Wapsi Sow-Scud

39 minutes ago, Bimini15 said:

I struggle to get good pics of tiny flies. And when I get an ok one, then I see every imperfection that I could not see with the naked eye.

Just can’t win...

That is always the way!

IMG_4786.jpg.bf4c14b052074747acd4bea156441ba7.jpg

Crabby Crab:

Hook: Mustad 3407, #1/0

Thread: Uni-Thread 6/0, Fire Orange

Mouthparts: Calf tail, brown and Krystal Flash, copper

Eyes: 40lb mono

Claws: Zonker strip, gold variant/ 40lb mono spreaders

Body: Standard Estaz, salmon

Legs: Sili-legs, gold foil/red

Collar: Zonker crosscut, gold variant

Rattle: 4mm glass rattle

Weight: Lead dumbbell, medium

Real cold fronts are starting to move in on a more regular basis, the water is dropping, and the reds will be crawling...time to get into the skinny water.

$3 dips

Dyed green Ringtail pheasant, have to much

Glass bead brown/gold

Size 16 scud hook

Green wire

6/0 white thread

Pearl crystal flash

Green marker 

20201230_235304.jpg

Red Spider Variant”

Hook. ..... Partridge spider sz 14
Thread. ..... Pearsall’s gossamer primrose
Body. ...... “. “. “
Thorax. ...... Hare’s ear
Hackle. ...... inside covert feather Eurasian Jay

4F1A6DE4-765D-4440-9E7F-BF98AD50C61D.jpeg

I look at all the nice photos of flies on this site (and a few others), some are professional quality - others not so much.  Here's a simple tip that I used back when I was writing articles for magazines and needed graphics (pics) that were easy to see... Not hard at all to neglect the background your fly is posed in front of (and if it's a complicated background your eyes struggle to see the fly at times... 

Back to the tip... I went to my local craft store and bought sheets of craft foam in different colors - might have been as many as ten of them, but probably less than that for the same kind and thickness of foam you'd use to make Gartside's Gurgler... In use they're simplicity itself - not hard to stand up a sheet of foam using a couple of clothes pins and curving the sheet as you place it behind your vise.  Pretty simple to take three or four shots of the fly with a different contrasting colors behind the fly... Once you've taken your photos, run them up on your computer then look at each color in turn to be able to select the background color that works the best... After a while, you'll know which color works the best for a white fly or a tan fly and you won't need multiple photos at all.  I discard the ones with backgrounds that don't work and only keep the ones I like.  At the same time I'll experiment a bit with lighting, using a combination of artificial light and natural light until I get the effect I want.  Quite a bit of difference between this kind of lighting and using flash supported pics.  Afterwards you get to choose which you like - and as always the simpler the background - the better your flies show.  I also use those same sheets with the fly or other item laid on top of them horizontally or raised at an angle...  Those foam sheets were really cheap - all those years ago.  I don't think I paid $10 for all of them and they're probably not much more today (and I still have every one of them ready to use as needed... Now for a pic or two... 

6BboYZZ.jpg

Seaducers laid flat on the sheet

3UiTmwv.jpg

The loop end of a class tippet done in close-up (for serious closeup work I always use a tripod and a timed shutter release to absolutely eliminate even the possibility of camera shake... )

1u2p4xM.jpg

A Woolhead Mullet with  a dark purple background using flash photography... With bigger flies I'll sometimes use a pair of locking forceps to hold it as though it were in a tying vise (the forceps are locked up vertical with a mini clamp so they're stable - and at the exact angle desired... 

o2tBd7w.jpg

Prince of Tides (my version of Flip Pallot's famous pattern) with a lavender background

Roq0TVb.jpg

Starting point for a Whitewater Clouser with the tan foam background far enough to the rear that it's not in focus at all... 

Brown-Bucktail-1080.jpg

Brown Bucktail

Hook -  Mustad 38941 (or equivalent substitute), Size 4-14

Thread - Brown

Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel

Body - Flat silver tinsel

Throat - Red hackle fibers, short

Wing - Natural brown bucktail (from the outside of the bucktail)

Popular Fly Patterns - Terry Hellekson

PRMM Softhackle 

50795605661_4dedca740b_c.jpg

50795728492_4160f0a8f6_c.jpg

50795605866_24eb3b317d_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 6 #8
thread - Danville 6/0 black 
tail - pheasant rump 
abdomen - moose mane light&dark/resin
thorax - pheasant aftershaft (in loop)
collar - pheasant rump

Regards,
Scott

I think adding foam backgrounds and a driftwood prop has made my pictures much better. It does not improve the flies themselves, though...

F1301781-F5C9-4F61-B716-AC0476276556.thumb.jpeg.3fc1dff338da15bb6eb8ab780a98b1b2.jpeg

I was going through some old photos and came across this one which reminded me of experiences I had last summer on the headwaters of a decent cutthroat stream.  This little stone fly was photographed along a remote stream in Eastern Victoria, AU but is typical of little black stones.  Last summer on numerous occasions I found myself resting along grass banks during mid-day heat.  Inevitably, some little black stoneflies would find me and be crawling along my shirt sleeves or waders.  I tied these to replicate those little stones.

748036328_LittleBlackStonefly.thumb.jpg.f2395ad0a80782bd37de67b48f31c447.jpgBZN40932.thumb.JPG.0f84ec49efee8a8fc13eb533583925fb.JPGBZN40929.thumb.JPG.a156e958620b954c02ba7e6169fd4a17.JPGBZN40931.thumb.JPG.2d1f8b4caf354374fb47e5d06f9d188f.JPG

BZN40926.JPG

Little Black Furled Stonefly

Hook: Firehole Stick 419 #12/14

Thread: UTC 70 Black

Body: Fine Black or Dark Brown fine yarn or Z-lon furled with a single strand of Copper polarflash

Wing: Black Moose Body Hair tied sparsely, not stacked

Hackle: Black, heavy, undersized by 1 or 2 hook sizes.

The I'm bored waiting for football nymph

hook - 14

thread - 8/0 uni black

tail - barred wood duck

body - thread

rib - flo orand thread

legs - pheasant tail

wing - barred wood duck

wd5.jpg