Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Poopdeck

What to do

My father was a life long angler, fly fisherman and fly tier. Although I fished with him, I never took up fly fishing until after he passed 13 years ago. My brother the fly fisherman received all of his fly fishing gear. My father showed me how to tie but I tied bucktails, jigs, teasers and dressed hooks so I inherited his fly tying stuff. His portable tying desk, that I use, came with two deceiver flies that are likely two of the last flies he tied. I stuck them in my boat box with the intention of fishing. However, every time I want to tie them on something stops me. So I’m cleaning and arranging my boat box today and there are the two deceiver flies that he tied to fish. I know this because like me, he tied flies to fish not for the sake of tying flies. Suddenly I had an epiphany, he tied these flies to fish not to store or display. My kids don’t fish nor would they, or I, ever display fishing stuff so these flies will only be thrown out in the trash  when I’m gone. I think I’m finally going to fish them this spring. Wondering what others would do. I’m thinking catching a fish on one of these flies would be a once in a lifetime memory. I might just cry if that happens. Geez maybe I shouldn’t fish them. What if I don’t catch a fish? What if I snag them in a rock? Oh, what to do. 

EC2D2572-7B75-4010-9959-731B5D633801.jpeg

7EC04E92-5488-42CA-A868-9504EF12EE9D.jpeg

It’s a personal decision. Most of us would like to fish with our dads again. You have that opportunity and will know when it is right to use them. Upon losing a fish I can still hear my dad saying “what a city guy”

personnaly if it were ME and these were some of the last flies my father ever tied (he never did but if he did), they would go in a shadow box and hung on a wall as a lasting memory of him

after your dead and buried, who cares if your heirs or siblings decide to throw them away, its their loss

For all I know these were rejects waiting to be cut off the hook. I do have his portable tying desk which by all standards is a hunk of poop but something I will use and cherish to the end, at which time my children will promptly throw it in the trash. I also use his vise and his clip on magnifiers. I feel like I’m holding on to the flies the same way Mav held onto Goose’s dog tags. Maybe catching a fish on them will be similar to shooting down some MIG fighters. I can’t help but think he is watching and screaming, “FISH EM.” 

You will always have your memories of your dad, and those memories will serve to encourage/strengthen/motivate/ inspire etc from now on.  Your dilemma is very personal and I hope you choose a course that brings the most peace to you.  Others have shared what they would do and i will add my thoughts as well .......... most fly tiers want their flies fished (unless of course they are realistics or tied for a shadow box).  There are so many "what if" and "buts" from this point on that the issue again is very personal.  I think when I tie a fly, somewhere in that process I think about catching a fish on the fly I am tying and that brings a smile to my face.  I would fish the flies and if I got skunked remind myself "that's fishing" and maybe catch some on the next time out.  If I lost one or both I would regret it but could live with it.  There's also the possibility something could happen to the flies in your home i.e. get lost, destroyed by flood or fire etc.  Good luck, and Happy New Year!

I’m either blessed or cursed but my memories are not tied to tangible things. Since I believe most people would put them in a frame and display them it makes me feel like I’m doing something wrong by not doing the same. Maybe I will fish one and do a wait and see on the second one.  I’m fishing them! Oh dang, my boats put up for winter. Not sure why I did that it’s going to be 60 today.

Poopdeck,

I read your post and it hit a cord with me.

When I was a kid, I played baseball and my father was my primary coach.  It was my game and I was pretty good. The only thing I lacked was the drive to go further than fun.  I played softball at first base against young kids far longer than I should have because I could hear him in my mind every time the pitcher wound up or I stepped into the box.  I heard him asking me the same questions as when I was 8.  "What is the situation?" "What are you going to do if the ball comes to you?" "Where is the best place to hit the ball?" What the hell where you thinking?" Sometimes it was frustrating but I cherish those memories. I only quit playing recently because the bats used now are very hot.  The third time I caught a line drive headed for my face THEN realized the ball was hit, I decided to hang up my cleats.

I fished a lot with my Dad but he didn't take up fly fishing until just before he passed. He never tied and could barely cast but I would love the opportunity to have something like you do. Those flies were made to fish.  Fish 'em and think of your Dad.

I, like others have said, would fish one and save one. I probably wouldn't build a shadow box for it though, I would put it on my lucky fishing hat and have it with me always.

On a completely different note, my boat has 40 inches of snow on it.

I'm in the 'fish it' camp, though I do like Mark's idea of keeping one on my fishing hat.  My Dad's still with us, but has trouble fishing.  I have one of his old fiberglass rods that I occasionally use, I don't worry too much about breaking it, as long as it happens while fishing and not some stupid snapped in the door mistake.   I'll get the others when he's gone, and I'll fish them, just as he'd fish them if he could and not let them sit in the closet.  

In a somewhat similar vein, a number of years back I came across the old fiberglass fly rod and reel my Dad first bought me to teach me to fly fish (bought at the old Spag's, for those in central MA who remember)  I cleaned it up and fished it on the lake for a  few  years, until a big bass snapped it just above the cork, I had to haul the fish in by hand.  I thought it was very fitting,  as that's how I'd want to go if I was a fly rod.   I still use the reel though.  

Fish at least one of them.  Then take the picture of the fish you catch that your Dad would've been proud of!

Kim

I happen to agree with Mark on this one.

The flies are like a fine rod or reel...the tyer or rod builder or reel maker had fishing with the finish product in mind.

So fish one and keep the other close when fishing...I'm sure your father would agree.