Fly Tying
flytire

September Flies From the Vise

1 hour ago, Mark Knapp said:

Not yet, but when I do, I'll post it.

Awesome man!  I’ve just made some with the silicone and dubbing thing.  It turned out ok, but I like the ridges in yours so, either the old way or new way would be great to see.  Thank you.  

16 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Twenty or thirty tails in, I feel like I'm just getting the Mayfly tails dialed in.

DSCF5650-X3.jpg

DSCF5649-X3.jpg

Those look great Mark!

Here are a couple of Hornberg variants.  12 Years ago I caught my first ever salmonid on a Hornberg tied very much like the first fly with the mallard flank (without Jungle cock cheeks).  He was a hard fighting (all  3- 1/2" of him)  Atlantic Salmon Parr and the #12 fly was half as big as he was!  Still I was more proud of catching that little fish than I was of any other fish I caught that year with conventional tackle.  After that I was, pardon the pun, "hooked" on fly fishing on moving water.

IMG_6573.thumb.JPG.44ee55029f6403739ee14b9480d2ae07.JPGIMG_6577.thumb.JPG.a1800b09b08b65b0b52936808ea1dbe5.JPG

4 hours ago, DFoster said:

Here are a couple of Hornberg variants.  12 Years ago I caught my first ever salmonid on a Hornberg tied very much like the first fly with the mallard flank (without Jungle cock cheeks).  He was a hard fighting (all  3- 1/2" of him)  Atlantic Salmon Parr and the #12 fly was half as big as he was!  Still I was more proud of catching that little fish than I was of any other fish I caught that year with conventional tackle.  After that I was, pardon the pun, "hooked" on fly fishing on moving water.

Excellent story and great flies!

58 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

Looking forward to that SBS, those extended bodies look great @Mark Knapp, and the Hornbergs both look great.

Adams Midges for me today

1542214218_AdamsMidge20.thumb.jpg.7af55ec599e03184111029fc9f9845bd.jpg

Chugbug27 looks good. I have some muskrat fur that was regurgitated by a Horned Owl . Let me know if you want some.

For real? Oh, I can't resist that. I'll pm you my address. Give me yours and I'll mail you a small surprise back

23 hours ago, McFlyLures said:

I’ve just made some with the silicone and dubbing thing.

I tried that, once.  The flies tied with them did get hits.  But the tail only lasted one hit, whether I hooked the fish or not.  Turns out, the silicone isn't strong enough to hold the dubbing fibers together when a fish grabs it.

Good luck with yours.