Fly Tying
vicrider

Covid be damned...We're doing Christmas Swap

after the gift sat under the tree for a week or more i opened this Christmas morning.  perfect set of flies for the ponds i fish   Thank you Troutmaster   and swapmeister. Merry Christmas

Santa has arrived at our house and he brought me a very nice assortment of goodies and a super duper set of flies from Rick Zieger! Thanks Rick. Great set of flies. Thanks much. 

BB

It is a very Merry Christmas made more so by W W Kimba's box of streamers.  Thank you and thanks to all who took part.

Got a very nice set of flies from John Worobel.

Will you tell me where you got the small foam cylinders for eyes and how you put the legs thru the foam on  the back of the small foam flies?

Rick 

25 minutes ago, RickZieger said:

Got a very nice set of flies from John Worobel.

Will you tell me where you got the small foam cylinders for eyes and how you put the legs thru the foam on  the back of the small foam flies?

Rick 

Pics of the fly? Here's a link to SBS of the only fly I know that has legs THROUGH foam. 

Congrats Jamie. You were the last man standing. Everyone in swap was in and I did the numbers right off the front page. Vicente does some beautiful work and I purchased one of his knives at a bargain for custom made quality a couple of years ago myself. This year I put my name in the spin and I was the second one shot down. Somewhere out there someone has a double gifting as the seoncd and third prizes were bonus boxes contributed by denduke who chose to play Santa but wanted no gift himself. He got one anyway but his boxes were a bonus for a couple of lucky spin winners. 

As everyone is thanking me for doing know that I have great enjoyment in this. A bit of frustration at times mainly caused by my own poor bookkeeping but knowing people get that spark of joy opening their gifts under the tree brings me great joy too. Thank you for all who participated in this.

To whoever got my set, I was thinking Hopper/Dropper when I tied them up. There is a foam Predator for the Hopper and the rest of the set were flies that I thought might work as Droppers. Hope they work for you.

BB

BB, I've taken some fine but stiff stainless wire, kinked it over and double it, then push that through the foam, drop rubber legs through the double wire end and pull it back through. This has worked for me fine. Also works on hard poppers like Balsa where the rubber legs have rotted off. Push the wire through the hole and draw new legs back through.

Very nice dozen salty's from Mikemac1!  After a winter here in central NY and dodging COVID I'll want an excuse to be near salt water?  (Did somebody say BEACH!)

Merry Christmas and a Happy Holidays ALL!

Kim

On 12/25/2020 at 6:30 AM, cphubert said:

SECSANTA2020.jpg

not exactly sure why somebody put flies in that box that i didnt even tie or even part of my gift. you have the recipe list i made

others should have been separate

That is Santa prerogative flytire. Several seent extras for me and I used to add to some boxes and bring up the gifts going out. I'm handling 40 boxes and lots and lots of extras and just trying to increase the overall quantity of everyone's boxes. This was flytire's box before I stuck a few extras in. It stands alone as a great gift.

flytier.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

By the way, your gift to me was very nice and I only hope this is the year I get to get a lot of those and others people have gifted me and those I've tied wet. When I get on the stream next I'm going to set up about four rods with different flies and give each one either ten minutes or so or until I catch a fish on it. Then I'll go through and change all the flies and give those a chance to get wet. 

Got some great looking flies from Jay Dzik and denduke (along with a sweet trout skin from pattern box). Thanks for the awesome fish-getters, gents! And, again, thanks to Nick for running such a great swap every year. 

Thanks to Nathanael in VT for this great box of Trout flies. 

spacer.png

They've already been put to good use on the stocker "Rainbeaux" trout released by the local parks department over Christmas.

spacer.png

This one took an orange soft hackle.

Thanks again to Nathanael, swap master Nick, and all who participated/donated extras.

Chris