Fly Tying
flytire

October Flies From The Vise

@BobHRAH I got mine back about 2 yrs ago from NW angler/guide Steven Bird and it was his sister who was a raising a small flock. So I don’t think he’s making a habit of selling them but if you would like me to ask I can . 

Prince nymph attempt. 

#12 hook

Bead

70 denier thread

tail brown biots

Body peacock herl

Gold tinsel wrap

Hackle brown hen saddle 

Wing white biots 

Some hard as nails to keep it all together. 

I did notice after taking the picture that the wings are curving up instead of down.....LOL  Im gonna fish it anyway. 

DSC_0048.jpeg

@Pbass nice Prince. That is one of those flies that I don’t seem to have much luck with.  How’s the new vise ?  Looks sharp. Are you happy with it ?

1 hour ago, Pbass said:

I did notice after taking the picture that the wings are curving up instead of down.....LOL  Im gonna fish it anyway. 

Well, Doug Prince's original fly had the wings curving up. I still tie them that way. When they started to be mass produced commercially, the wings got inverted for some reason.  So I'd say you tied it correctly.

7742D400-F422-4F6A-9012-8E44AB38483D.thumb.jpeg.bc0acc7ee3d55f6e60aba2b69f279704.jpeg
First gurgler attempt. Don’t know why I waited so long to tie some of these. I’ll be filling a box this winter for next year. 
I tied this as Matt Cassamise ? Hook and feather.com showed on a you tube video. 

hook-  mustad r73-9671 #6 streamer               
Tail - white marabou and pearl Krystal flash 

body- white foam and pearl ice dub 

legs - pearl krystal flash 

will try some other variations as well 

@Upstate Nice tie on the gurgler.  That’s one fly that works the world over both saltwater and fresh.

I swear, Jack's patterns will still be worth a look - one hundred years from now if there's still fish to catch...  I only met Jack Gartside once, years ago when the National Fly Show came to Miami.  Wish I'd had more time with him.  We were both featured tyers sitting next to each other (and each of us busy with his own work...).  Life's just too short... 

15 hours ago, Jaydub said:

Well, Doug Prince's original fly had the wings curving up. I still tie them that way. When they started to be mass produced commercially, the wings got inverted for some reason.  So I'd say you tied it correctly.

@jaydub thanks for the history. I had no idea. I am going to give it a try in the water? Thanks

Finally got around to taking some pictures of what I've been tying and I use the term loosely.

First picture,  added a marabou tail to one my larger floating mop flies.  Probably 

Next two.  I've never really messed around with cased caddis, but I found the bodies with some dental floss.  I guess I was suppose to floss/clean my teeth with them

Last two, small floating mop flies.  Size 12.  I've caught trout and pan fish on them.  Change the head from a single piece of foam to a booby style head.

PA270800.JPG

PA270804.JPG

PA270806.JPG

PA270808.JPG

PA270811.JPG

22 hours ago, Mogup said:

@BobHRAH I got mine back about 2 yrs ago from NW angler/guide Steven Bird and it was his sister who was a raising a small flock. So I don’t think he’s making a habit of selling them but if you would like me to ask I can . 

Ask, please. Cause you have all the cool stuff and I'm committing the sin of jealousy and coveting my neighbor's tying materials