Fly Tying
lostnwilderness

Levels of Fly Tying

I've got to go along with a couple of the answers so far. Consistency is a biggie (I'm working on that one). I don't think speed is a factor. I could tie 2 dozen flies in an hour, but they would be neither consistent, nor very pleasant to look at. :blink:

In my case(and I would imagine others also), when I started tying, I would attempt every pattern that I saw in every magazine article; streamers, dries, wets, nymphs, you name it. But I settled down to a couple of types that work for me on the water and I'm comfortable with. But, I'm still learning new things and methods within those types. That's what keeps it interesting.

I don't know if I'll ever reach "expert" status in anyone's eyes, but I'm enjoying the journey.

Norman (flytire) - That would make you an "Elder". (friendly humor)

thank ray for playing the "age" card :lol: :lol:

Moving from beginner to intermediate, I think, is a function of becoming familiar with the mechanics of the process. You become comfortable with material handling, placement, techniques, etc. and begin to understand some of the reasons why some things work and why they don't. When a tyer looks back at a new fly and is happy with the results, they can see improvement, a straight fly that is reasonably proportioned. They start to "get the hang of it". The one who feels they are getting the hang of it and have started feeling some pride in their creation will start considering themselves to be at an intermediate level.

An intermediate level is as far as anybody needs to go to create and enjoy tying functional flies. Any category after that becomes increasingly subjective.

I have been married twice,have four daughters and two grand daughters. I like any other man cannot even begin to figure them out, so how is it conceivable for me or any of us to say who are the fly tying experts, when we can't even master everyday living. Yes this concept goes for women fly tiers too

The thing I see change the most in a persons tying, as they progress, is their consistency and attention to detail. The more time they've spent at the vice, the more uniform their creations and more refined the finished fly looks. Proficiency comes with practice, speed comes with repetition, expertise comes from experience (good and bad).

WORD!

TO YO MAMMA!

Don't forget the old definition...

Expert -

An "Ex" is a has been.

And a "spurt" is a drip under pressure.

Cheers,

C.

Norman (flytire) - That would make you an "Elder". (friendly humor)

Does the fact that I have been tying 44 years make me a Geezer?

Cheers!

I tied flies in 1955 and 56. Stopped for about 10 years, and have been tying steadily for the last 47 years. There are STILL several areas of tying where I would consider myself a novice. Tying fully dressed feather wing streamers, and Atlantic Salmon flies are just 2 areas that I haven't really explored. Through the years, I have tied flies for fishing, and most of those have been for cold water fish. I have tied thousands of custom flies, and again most of those have been for cold water fish. I have experience with most techniques, and I think with the right amount of practice, I could master any pattern.

Now that I have moved to Florida, I will be learning a lot of new patterns, and fishing for warm water, and salt water fish a lot of the time. When I was tying custom flies for people, I did tie and sell a few hundred bone flies (not hard at all.) Tarpon flies were also fairly easy, just bigger. My customer feedback was always positive. Even if I didn't get to fish them myself, I know they were working for my clients. I have had only a couple of chances to fish salt water with the fly, and my list of species is pretty short. But all have been caught on my own ties.

Since 1966, I have fished with only my own flies. I have had a great deal of success with them, and my fiends and clients have been more than happy with my flies.

I could say that my experience thought almost 50 years of tying and the consistent productivity of my flies would make me an expert, BUT I DON'T. As long as there are flies and pattern styles that I haven't mastered, I will still consider myself an intermediate tier. I can and do still learn new things, as many of us do.

If Frank is a GEEZER, then I would have to label myself a DINOSAUR.

When I sit at the vise for 2 or 3 hours and totally enjoy my time there. I would classify myself as contented.

utyer, you are NO dinosaur; you are an Elder Statesman!! I agree with your assessment, by implication, of what constitutes an expert tier---one who can tie all known patterns and types with proficiency.

Cheers!

Frank

While I also agree it is hard to quantify an 'expert', I think there are qualities to use in evaluating your own progress. One skill I have noticed grow for myself is the ability to look at a fly or picture of a fly and know how to duplicate the fly. I can see the materials used, how they were used, and often times I can actually duplicate that. I don't usually need a word-for-word recipe for flies that I tie. It is something that really only time at the vice and studying can develop.

I have been tying for 35+ years and I think that the only thing that makes anybody any better is that they just have an easier time of tying.. Meaning.. when you first start tying it's pretty tough and when you finally do get a half hitch on something and all the material stays on the hook then your doing better.. the proportions, the taper of the fly the correct size of hackles everything that comes with learning the methods involved and just getting to the point where you can tie in comfort is what makes a better tier.. I have taught a lot of people how to tie flies and some people pick it right up and some struggle but eventually they all get in to there own groove of how it's done.. as long as you can fill your boxes and you do or don't care how your boxes look then your doing fine.. I guess if you could invent some flies that other people like and umqua wants to buy your pattern and then you write a couple books and everybody thinks your the greatest tier in the world.. then I guess your the best tier in the world.. but the most important thing I think there is about fly tying is that if you can tie a fly and put in the water and the judges of all flies eats it.. I guess your an expert also.. just my opinion