Fly Tying
Moshup

Hackle inflation !!!

Along with gas and groceries dry fly hackle prices have gone through the roof this year .  yikes. 😳

Yeah, I took a look at Kelly Galloup's online store after watching his new Whiting brand-boosting videos, and it was pretty startling. Grocery shopping is turning me crotchety, too. 

The cost of fuel both for vehicles and heat in my area has doubled in the last year.   A lady in my office who is a pretty radical environmentalist is talking about moving south because she can't afford to heat her home this year.  I guess saving the planet isn't as appealing when your kids are shivering?

she probably wont be able to afford the air conditioning bill either. probably didnt think that through

$3.39 for gas today and thats coming down in price 👍

if you want to play you gotta pay. i have enough hackle to last another 40 years of tying. gotta use up the stock from the 1980s

7 minutes ago, flytire said:

she probably wont be able to afford the air conditioning bill either. probably didnt think that through

if you want to play you gotta pay. i have enough hackle to last another 40 years of tying. gotta use up the stock from the 1980s

Gas around here in East Tennessee is about 2.75-2.84, depending on the gas station or C-store. FWIW, got a new heat pump three years ago and my electric bill is half, including the payment for the unit and installation.

I also have plenty of hackle and feathers. I get mine at parks and under my bird feeders. Not into roadkill. I always liked the Clint Eastwood line in Heartbreak Ridge: We improvise. We overcome. We adapt.

3 hours ago, flytire said:

You guys are lucky. That converts to $4.24 Can. and we are paying $5.67 Can. for a U.S. gal. here in the Great White North.

Les

13 hours ago, Moshup said:

Along with gas and groceries dry fly hackle prices have gone through the roof this year .  yikes. 😳

Yeah, that gets my hackles up.😀

I'm glad I'm all stocked up.

As someone who needs absolutely nothing in trout fly tying materials I haven't really followed what is going on in that market. If I tied commercially I could tie for the next who knows how many years and still be well stocked😁😁😁

However this post made me take a look at just hackle and nothing else. My wife asked if everything was okay when she heard this loud thump from our office. I assured her it was just me falling out of my chair when I looked at the current prices. GOOD LORD!!!  I was flabbergasted to say the least.

And I thought classic salmon fly materials were expensive...whew.

This is a good reason to keep your eye on various sales outlets for used feathers and tools. All you guys who have way too much (me?) end up putting the stuff out for sale at below the old prices which amounts to a darn good deal today. I recently bought a bunch of 100 packs of Whiting hackle from 16-12 in various colors for what amounted to less than $10 a card or less than half today's prices. Just keep an eye out for the deals.

Edit to add some great deals were recently on our Classified. If you're in the market for some capes or saddles you might contact upnorthtier and see what he has left he didn't sell.

Nick

15 hours ago, Moshup said:

The cost of chicken feed ain't chicken feed anymore.

Hackle has always been expensive that’s why I’ve always used the cheap stuff. To those of us who remember 10 to 14% interest rates all I can say is you ain’t seen nothing yet. 

I’ve been eyeing a silver badger cape for a while.  I guess I need to buy now before the price gets even higher. I think my wife will buy into that excuse

5 hours ago, DFoster said:

The cost of fuel both for vehicles and heat in my area has doubled in the last year.   A lady in my office who is a pretty radical environmentalist is talking about moving south because she can't afford to heat her home this year.  I guess saving the planet isn't as appealing when your kids are shivering?

Global warming should reduce her need for heating fuel.