Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

Thats a real long bodied perch. The UK ones tend to be shorter and become like footballs as they hit the bigger weights.

I'd love to see a big fish from those waters if they are all long like that.

I've watched a lot of UK/Eu videos of perch fishing and I think there are a few other differences.... I just saw a picture of the new state record Yellow Perch for Pennsylvania, it was just shy of 16" and weighed 2lb14. It looked like a huge fat belly with a perch top side... I know occasionally you guys can get perch to 5lb. My thought is in europe perch fill a habitat niche which here in North America is filled by smallmouth bass in similar types of waters. You have Zander, we have Walleye which are quite similar but not identical, even your pike have some "average" differences to look at compared to ours. All the same, all a little different.

Agreed. Take bass out of your waters and perch would probably fill that void. Its odd as there was talk 10 or 15 years ago of introducing bass to UK waters but it was shelved.

North Fort Myers. Just around the corner from Cape Horrible, er I mean Cape Coral <grin>.

Awwww man, it's not that bad, but yeah with all the rain I went to some spillways last week, caught two snook. one was around 20 inches and the other was like 4 inches, tiniest snook ive ever caught.

Islander any snook is big and an accomplishment ( "poquito" means little yall)

You know I'm a bad fisherman when I have never caught a snook and someone is not happy about catching a 20 incher lol

Good news is I still have plenty of years to go :) (hopefully)

Not to get too technical with scientific names or anything, but I think that fish is a Pequeño Centropomus Undecimalis...

Not to get too technical with scientific names or anything, but I think that fish is a Pequeño Centropomus Undecimalis...

And so it is!

If you notice, I have made the proper correction. My apologies.

Thats a real long bodied perch. The UK ones tend to be shorter and become like footballs as they hit the bigger weights.

I'd love to see a big fish from those waters if they are all long like that.

I've watched a lot of UK/Eu videos of perch fishing and I think there are a few other differences.... I just saw a picture of the new state record Yellow Perch for Pennsylvania, it was just shy of 16" and weighed 2lb14. It looked like a huge fat belly with a perch top side... I know occasionally you guys can get perch to 5lb. My thought is in europe perch fill a habitat niche which here in North America is filled by smallmouth bass in similar types of waters. You have Zander, we have Walleye which are quite similar but not identical, even your pike have some "average" differences to look at compared to ours. All the same, all a little different.

=============

I agree - really large perch is foung in the waters with low competition with similar species. This is the example of a perch stocked into a lake with the fauna of only salmonids and minnows - here it is top predator, weight up to 8 pounds. Location: Uega Lake up the Okhota River, 200 km from Okhotsk in the Russian Far East.

100 years ago the yellow persh was stocked into the Shilka River (source of the Amur River). Till now the species is totally absent in the lower reaches of the Amur - the river has diverse fish fauna with numerous predators which occupy all possible niches...

post-34261-0-08869200-1466884220_thumb.jpg

I caught this striper last week on a little gill bug I made in size 14.Peeled some line off my 4wt!

post-3092-0-17688300-1466888861_thumb.jpg

Hey guys, while this fish wasnt on fly(not my choice as you can see the little ones and the adults didnt want a fly zinging everywhere) but my personal best mutton snapper! Didnt spend a whole lot of time fishing since we mostly snorkeled in rough seas which was very exhausting. 100lb tarpon came up right to us and I am pissed at myself for not bringing my fly rod , that would have been some fight!

After some butter and salt, she was ready to go on the grill. It was 5 star gourmet food in my mind wink.png

post-59033-0-02440100-1466906754_thumb.png