Fly Tying
flytire

September Flies From the Vise

I need to get on here more often!  You guys are killing it with all the great patterns.

Today I was giving some love to the ol' Crackleback.  Old but not forgotten.

reducedCrackleback.jpg

My attempt at Michigan Stimi (Ansel Adams variation) just using what I have on hand, haven't tied much recently and found these very challenging (some swearing going on here LOL)

Thank you SBPatt for the SBS.

Have a great Saturday night folks.

91220.thumb.jpg.575fdd225dc79373c4ff4af2b84a02bd.jpg

4 hours ago, xterrabill said:

My attempt at Michigan Stimi (Ansel Adams variation) just using what I have on hand, haven't tied much recently and found these very challenging (some swearing going on here LOL)

You’re very welcome. Love the fly holder.

Regards,
Scott

18 hours ago, xterrabill said:

Nice wraps on the bodies!

Killer-1080.jpg

Killer

Category - Dry Fly

Hook - Mustad R50-94840, size 8-14

Thread - Black

Body - Peacock herl

Wing - Woodchuck, tied trude style

Hackle - Brown

Moose Hair Quill Soft Hackles

BZN40399.thumb.JPG.c98eba7da109fca697d1ff90e78a8a80.JPG

Sometimes simple is the ticket.  I was on a remote section of the lower Big Hole yesterday and being stumped by fish that just didn’t know how it supposed to work.  It was one of those smoky, weird mornings where the light was eerie.  Still warm enough for hoppers to be active in the grasses, I connected with a few nice fish early on the Creamsicle hopper.  The tricos came out about an hour late and betrayed the locations of lots of fish.  But, my heretical approach with tricos (streamers or hoppers) just wasn’t of interest to any fish.  So I cut off the hopper, tied on a bugger with a soft hackle trailer.   Bingo, fish after fish started coming to hand on the soft hackle.  The winning ticket were my Moose Hair Quill Soft Hackles.

Quill bodied flies are an effective way to create a segmented body without a lot of bulk.  But I’ve always found working with traditional quills to be tedious (soaking) and expensive on a per fly basis (20-25 cents each).  Enter moose body hair.  A typical patch of moose body hair is around $5. Lots of different colors available.  A package of 25 quills the same cost.  I’ve never counted the number of hairs on a moose body patch but it is more than 25.  The real advantage here besides cost is that no soaking is required and moose hair is very flexible, durable and doesn’t break often when tying.  Here’s a few examples.

BZN40403.thumb.JPG.74ba20ed5b9b8565ac156c0a2f7a2836.JPG

Tie with a contrasting thread to accentuate the segmentation

BZN40405.thumb.JPG.581f2d135e13bb38cbd8ace7bade649d.JPG

A Moose Hair Quill Partridge and Orange

BZN40406.thumb.JPG.9d82ffd0f208580c73779a52183f98e6.JPG

Purple and CDL HenBZN40407.thumb.JPG.c1c12f555bd10603fe25ee13d95517b6.JPG

More than 25 quills (hairs) on this patch