Fly Tying
Trouttramp

The challenge thread!

5 minutes ago, niveker said:

That's my philosophy also.  

Great minds and tastes my friend!

Here's my attempt at a Muddler Minnow. I tried to make it as close to the original as possible. There's quite a few sparsely dressed original pics on the net here and there. I ended up going with the one that's in Bates Streamer Tying and Fishing book, since it was tied by Gapen and was more than likely tied for presentation.

Hook:  Mustad 38941 size 4

Tail: A pair of mottled turkey wing slips

Body: Weighted with 0.010 lead wire and old gold metal tinsel over that

Wing: Grey squirrel tail just beyond the fly's tail in length, with two mottled turkey slips tied in above that.

Shoulders: Fine deer hair tied in on either side of the wing so it reaches all the way back to the bend of the hook

Head: A couple of clumps of deer hair spun and packed loose, clipped tapering back above and below the hook shank

Thread: Red for weighted

IMGP1424.thumb.JPG.67bba845055cc421bbabb8ab813204fe.JPG

For the next one, how about a Professor wet fly. It's almost a hundred years older than this one, and most folks should have just about all the materials for it.

Regards,

Mark

22 hours ago, mvendon said:

Here's my attempt at a Muddler Minnow. I tried to make it as close to the original as possible. There's quite a few sparsely dressed original pics on the net here and there. I ended up going with the one that's in Bates Streamer Tying and Fishing book, since it was tied by Gapen and was more than likely tied for presentation.

Hook:  Mustad 38941 size 4

Tail: A pair of mottled turkey wing slips

Body: Weighted with 0.010 lead wire and old gold metal tinsel over that

Wing: Grey squirrel tail just beyond the fly's tail in length, with two mottled turkey slips tied in above that.

Shoulders: Fine deer hair tied in on either side of the wing so it reaches all the way back to the bend of the hook

Head: A couple of clumps of deer hair spun and packed loose, clipped tapering back above and below the hook shank

Thread: Red for weighted

IMGP1424.thumb.JPG.67bba845055cc421bbabb8ab813204fe.JPG

For the next one, how about a Professor wet fly. It's almost a hundred years older than this one, and most folks should have just about all the materials for it.

Regards,

Mark

Very nice,i have several Gapen tied muddlers.And a bunch of other Gapen flies on display boards.The original Muddlers had a scraggily head like yours.Modern ones have a more tightly packed and trimmed head.I like the originals,they have been around a long time also.

The Professor

Hook: size 10 wet fly

Thread: 8/0 uni white for body, black UTC 70d (out of 8/0) for head

Tag: small gold Mylar tinsel

Tail: Red schlappen (out of red duck quills)

Rib: small oval tinsel

Body: yellow uni-stretch

Hackle: brown hen

Wing: teal (no decent mallard flank)

6C5A44DA-CD39-4788-9BDE-7EA7969BA341.jpeg

16 hours ago, dflanagan said:

The Professor

Well done. Of all the years tying I've never tied a professor, I'll put it on my to do list.